Situational interview questions
1. What is Situational interview?
Situational interview in the interview in which, the candidates are asked for their opinions on certain situations that may arise in relation to the job. The candidates are supposed to give their opinions and provide solutions to such hypothetical situations.
The purpose of a situational interview is to evaluate the candidate’s problem solving skill in the workplace environment. A typical tip to address such situations is to tell a story of your previous experience in which, you have dealt with a similar problem.
2. Steps to answer situational questions
• Describe the objectives of the situation and method to resolve it;
• List down steps to resolve the situation;
• Recommend measures to prevent and correct the situations.
3. Some examples of situational interview
1. Your colleague was repeatedly making mistakes that affect on the customer service and your ability to do your work. You talked to this colleague about the problem but he kept making mistakes again. What would you do next?
2. You figured out that an employee was stealing from the company. What would you do?
3. Have you ever worked with a client who seemed dislike you? How did you do under such a situation?
4. Have you ever been in a situation in which the customers have difficulties describing their needs? How did you do under such a situation?
5. Describe a difficult decision you had to make with assistance with your managers?
6. What did you do in your last job in order to be effective with your organization and planning? Be specific?
7. How would you handle it if you believed strongly in a recommendation you made in a meeting, but most of your co-workers shot it down?
8. In a training session, you find that the trainer has a thick accent, and you can’t understand what’s being said. What would you do?
9. List the steps that you would take to make an important decision on the job?
10. What would you do if you realized at deadline time that a report you wrote for your boss or professor was not up to par?
11. How would you deal with a colleague at work with whom you seem to be unable to build a successful working relationship?
12. You have recently begun managing a team within the organization. One of your team members applied for the same job, and she is resentful that she was not given the job. She is speaking in a manner that is disrespectful and undermining your authority. How will you handle the situation?
13. You see a coworker taking a shortcut with his job that could become a safety hazard. What will you do?
14. You disagree with the way your supervisor says to handle a problem. What would you do?
15. Who would you talk to if you discovered that a co-worker was disclosing confidential information that should not be divulged?
16. Describe the most creative work-related project you have completed?
17. Describe a time when you felt it was necessary to modify or change your actions in order to respond to the needs of another person?
18. Give me an example of a time when you had to analyze another person or situation carefully in order to be effective in guiding your action or decision?
19. When would it be appropriate to bring in your supervisor while dealing with an angry customer?
20. How would you attempt to make changes in the process if you felt a policy of your organization was hurting its members/workers?
21. What would a good manager do to build team spirit?
22. Describe a time when you were faced with problems or stresses at work that tested your coping skills. What did you do?
23. Give an example of a time when you could not participate in a discussion or could not finish a task because you did not have enough information?
24. Give an example of a time when you had to be relatively quick in coming to a decision?
25. How would you organize the steps or methods you’d take to define/identify a vision for your team or your personal job function?
26. What did you do in your last job to contribute toward a teamwork environment?
27. Give me an example of a problem you faced on the job and tell me how you solved it?
28. How would you react if two teammates were embroiled in a conflict that kept the team from completing its task?
29. Give me an example of a time when you felt you were able to build motivation in your co-workers or subordinates?
30. Tell me about a specific occasion when you conformed to a policy even though you did not agree with it?
31. Describe a solution in which you felt it necessary to be very attentive and vigilant to your environment?
32. You don’t have the information you need to prioritize your projects. Your co-workers and supervisor are unavailable for you to ask for assistance. How do you handle the situation?
33. Describe a situation in which you were able to positively influence the actions of others in a desired direction?
34. Tell me about a situation in the past year in which you had to deal with a very upset customer or co-worker?
35. Describe a situation in which others within your organization depended on you?
36. Describe your most recent group effort. What was your role?
37. Describe the worse customer or co-worker you have ever had and tell me how you dealt with him or her?
38. As a supervisor, you’ve made an unpopular decision. What action would you take so that morale in the department is not negatively affected?
39. In a team-leadership role, you discover that a team member has gone “over your head” to propose an idea or complain about an issue without talking to you first. How do you handle the situation?
40. Tell me about a time when you had to use your spoken communication skills in order to get a point across that was important to you?