why are job descriptions important ? Functions / benefits of job description include 5 elements as follows:
1. Purpose of job description for human resources department
Functions / benefits of job description include elements as follows:
Recruitment and Selection:
- As a mechanism for recruitment (determining qualifications)
- Recruit for vacancies
- Counsel people on career opportunities and their vocational interests
- provide guidelines for the recruitment process;
Training and development:
- For advising on employee training and development
- Identify training requirements;
- For establishing and updating performance standards
- Establish performance requirements
- Identify a performance standard of work that can be measured in terms of quality, quantity, time and cost;
Human resource planning
- For reorganization/realignment/reductions in force planning.
- For succession planning or organizational development (for example, what additional tasks can be applied for the growth of the organization as a whole?).
Human resource information system
- Clearly define channels of communication;
- Assign occupational codes, titles and/or pay levels to jobs
- For developing internal and/or external announcements
- Obtain mutual agreement between supervisors and subordinates with regards to the functions, job content and the performance standard attached to a specific post.
- For assigning jobs.
Job description can be used in compensation to identify or determine:
- Job factors of compensation.
- Work environment (e.g., hazards; attention; physical effort) etc
Compliance with labour law
- For determining Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) status (exempt or nonexempt).
- Check for compliance with legal requirements related to equal opportunity, equal pay, overtime eligibility, etc.
2. Purpose of job description for employee
An employee uses a position description:
- For understanding and establishing training objectives and developmental goals / objects.
- As a tool to understand his/her area of responsibility.
- For understanding new assignments and/or working conditions
- As a jump start for recommending improvement to work
3. Purpose of job description for supervisor or manager
A supervisor or manager uses position descriptions:
- Introduce new employees to their positions
- To clearly delineate work assignments and detect overlaps or gaps in those assignments
- As tools to manage their organizations
- Basis for developing performance plans
- Assist employees to acquire a greater understanding of their assigned duties
- Reassign and/or fix functions and responsibilities of their assigned organization
- Evaluate work performance.
- Assist in hiring and placing employees in positions for which they are best suited
- Improve work-flow and technical for work accomplishment
- Make decisions concerning reorganizations / realignments / reductions in force
- What is a job description
- Contents of a job description
- How to write a job description
- Job description form
- Job description samples
- HR career ebooks (you can download free and ref all ebooks related HR career…)
Author: Davi Ngo, hrvinet.com