PERFORMANCE APPRAISAL PROCESS / PROCEDURE
I / PURPOSE OF PROCEDURE:
• Provide an opportunity for the manager and his/her supervisor to set mutual objectives.
• Provide a fair and effective means for making personnel decisions.
• Recognize the importance of the manager’s contribution to institutional success.
• Provide a forum for open discussion of the manager’s individual strengths and for the identification of areas where improvement is needed.
• Improve the performance of the manager and, consequently, of the unit administered.
• Enhance the credibility of the management process, including the process by which decisions are made, in the eyes of those affected by the process.
II / SCOPE OF PROCEDURE:
• Apply for the evaluation of the entire company.
III / DEFINITIONS:
IV / CONTENTS OF PROCEDURE:
1. Identify performance criteria:
• The number of appraisal criteria for each position is from 3 – 10 criteria.
• The standards set should be clear, easily understandable and in measurable terms
• The appraisal criteria can be changed but must be the authority for approval and must be implemented for the relevant level before applying.
• HR department and managers/ supervisor will set up weight of each criteria and must be approved directors.
2. Communicating performance criteria:
• HR department should inform this procedure to all level of management and employees.
• The employees should be informed and the standards should be clearly explained in order to help them understanding their roles and to know what exactly is expected from them.
• Performance criteria should also be communicated to the appraisers or the evaluators and if required.
3. Measuring performance
HR dept should prepare all materials, notes agreed tasks and records of performance, achievements, incidents, reports etc – anything pertaining to performance and achievement.
Inform the appraisee:
• To ensure the appraisee is informed of a suitable time and place and clarify purpose and type of appraisal.
• Give the appraisee the chance to assemble data and relevant performance and achievement records and materials.
Review and measure
HR dept and managers / supervisors review the activities, tasks, objectives and achievements one by one, keeping to distinct separate items one by one.
Agree an action plan
• An overall plan should be agreed with the appraisee, which should take account of the job responsibilities and review strengths and weaknesses.
• The plan can be staged if necessary with short, medium and long term aspects, but importantly it must be agreed and realistic.
4. Comparing with desired criteria
• The actual performance is compared with the desired or performance criteria.
• The result can show the actual performance being more than the desired performance or, the actual performance being less than the desired performance depicting a negative deviation in the organizational performance.
5. Discussing results
The result of the appraisal should be communicated and discussed with the employees.
• The feedback should be given with a positive attitude as this can have an effect on the employees’ future performance.
• The purpose of the meeting should be to solve the problems faced and motivate the employees to perform better.
• The results, the problems and the possible solutions are discussed with the aim of problem solving and reaching consensus.
V/ FORMS ATTACHED:
VI. Best performance appraisal resources
1. Phrases For Performance Appraisals. Benefits of this ebook include: A collection of hundreds of ready-to-use impactful appraisal comments and phrases; Phrases to highlight your key strengths and achievements; Phrases to downplay your weaknesses to soften the impact on your overall performance; A comprehensive list of phrases covering most of the categories of KPIs used by many companies; Guidebook provided in Microsoft Word softcopy for your easy copy, paste and modify in your appraisal form; Guidebook provided in Microsoft Excel spreadsheet so that you can use it also for your employees’ appraisals and easy moderation! etc
2. Employee Performance Appraisals Forms. Benefits of this ebook include: Make your “fair” help good & make your “good” help great; Improve efficiency; Save hours upon hours of time; Get what you want out of every hourly dollar you pay your employees! Even your best employees need to know they are appreciated; Impress your boss or, if you are the boss, motivate your staff by giving them the feedback they NEED to be a better employee etc
3. Employee Performance Review: Tips, Templates & Tactics. Contents of this ebook include: Probation policies and templates, performance review tips, performance appraisal tips; Performance review tips, performance appraisal tips performance review policies and templates; Performance review tips, performance appraisal tips learning & development policies and templates; Performance review tips, performance appraisal tipspoor work performance policies and templates etc
4. Managers Guide to Performance. Contents of this ebook: How to deal with an employee who displays negative behavior….help them deal with their own issues and change their behavior; How to coach an employee to higher performance….employees want your leadership and will follow a strong manager; How to be clear about what you expect from them….an employee always wants to know how to best perform; How to give your employees the opportunities to perform……if they can’t or won’t, then how to let them go.
Author: Davi Ngo, hrvinet.com