PBX operator job description
Job purpose of PBX operator is to responds to incoming calls in a timely manner and directs caller to appropriate destination providing a smooth, clear and professionally courteous communication practice.
Key duties/responsibilities of PBX operator:
1. Corrects and updates posted information as needed. Assists with the maintenance of directories on-call list, etc.
2. Accurately utilizes the features of the PBX consoles, headsets, telephones and other related equipment.
3. Assist with maintaining cleanliness, safety and security of the PBX area. Maintains confidentiality, security and integrity of patient and organizational data.
4. Ensures release of information is consistent with all privacy policies.
5. Orients and mentors new staff members.
6. Answers multiple incoming telephone lines.
7. Obtains necessary information and transfers calls to correct extensions.
8. Provides information to callers as appropriate.
9. Performs overhead paging.
10. Monitors all alarms located in PBX and notifies appropriate personnel as required.
11. Responds quickly and accurately to disaster and emergency situations as required, remaining calm.
Tips to write effective job description
Not having the job description reviewed by others:
This is also a common mistake. One may be subject to bias, but more than one, especially with the help of those external advisor, the job description can be more perfect.
Not specific enough:
Be specific and concise; if you don’t address the specific, then what the job description is for. It is for the candidate to understand just exactly what he needs to do or needs to have. Lacking details can confuse the candidates very well.
Listing unnecessary functions or job duties:
Just classifying these into the “others” category will save you a lot of effort and space. On the other hand, the job description will become more dilute and easy to be neglected.
Using buzzwords or abbreviations:
In fact, it is not necessary at all to use such in a job description.
Using slang or legal words:
just use common wording to communicate with others and don’t do anything extraordinarily.
Not updating the job description:
The same job may require different duties and responsibilities in different times, so, you cannot use the same job description for 2 different times.
Source: 12 tips to writer an effective job description – http://www.humanresources.hrvinet.com/tip-to-writing-job-description/