31 General marketing interview questions
1. How can marketing lead the way toward customer centricity? What experience do you have to support your answer?
2. What is a customer-centric marketing organization, and what five processes has your team implemented to make your entire company more customer-centric?
3. If your current company is not yet customer-centric, what skills does your current marketing team require to lead your company through this change? What steps are you taking to close this skill gap?
4. With whom should you partner to help support this shift to customer-centricity?
5. How can you leverage new channels, tactics, and media to drive customer engagement and intimacy? What steps have you taken to link these divers to your team’s compensation?
6. How can you effectively integrate traditional, maturing, and new media, channels, and tactics?
7. What technologies should you leverage to best reach your clients and integrate your activities?
8. If your company markets through both B2B and B2C channels, describe any channel differences in approaching customer-centricity?
9. What customer experience strategies are disrupting the status quo in your industry? Are these strategic disruptions customer driven? Or were they driven by your competitors? Why?
10. Which of your competitors offer a superior customer experience? How do they do it? How did they preempt you? Did you see it coming? Name five things you are doing right now to address this problem?
11. How could your firm change its organization, processes, and culture to compete more effectively?
12. How can your company pinpoint weaknesses in your customers’ experiences and make improvements that lead to increased profits?
13. What are your top three predictions about how integrated, multichannel marketing in your industry will evolve in 2009? Why?
14. Tell me what kind of marketing plan you would create for product X? (insert product/ service for whatever company you are recruiting)?
15. Who is your target market for product X and where would you find them?
16. What product benefits would you communicate to your target market and why?
17. Describe 3 campaigns you have worked on in the past…how you approached them and why they failed or succeeded?
18. Why do you want to work on this product? (See if their answer is passionate about the product)? Why do you want to work in marketing?
19. Tell them to solve a marketing challenge, such as, “This brand in the past has been perceived as (insert negative thing here…i.e., not customer service focused, not reliable, etc..) How would you solve this problem as a marketing specialist working on that brand?
20. If you had $1,000,000 to invest in a new company what would you do and how would you do it?
21. It is September and you have to increase profits on your product by $5,000,000. What do you do?
22. You have to launch a new product that contains beets. How would you go about determining what to launch and then how would you launch it?
23. You just launched a direct email campaign program to increase online payment on the Amex site. After a week, you see that the results are dismal, what do you do?
24. What is the last ad of ours that you saw that you liked?
25. You are mortons and you want to grow salt – price point is $1.50 generics are $1 and specialty salts are $2 – what do you do? Should you advertise (traditionally the company doesn’t)?
26. You are in charge of a marketing campaign that is of high importance according to your manager and need the call center that is currently operating under full capacity to fun your program. How do you go about handling this situation?
27. Tell me about a time in which you used strategic thinking?
28. What things do you think keeps the CEO up at night?
29. What are the biggest issues that are affect our business?
30. If you had only $500 to market your new pharmaceutical product how would
you do it?
31. If you were to set up a relevant regression for our business how would
you do it/what would it include?
Related documents to marketing interviews
Source: Tommy Doan, hrvinet.com